Residential & Commercial Moth Control & Extermination
Indian Meal Moths are the most common pests of stored food in the world. The wings are held back over the body when it rests on a surface. The outer half of the forewings is a coppery-red color, while the half closer to the body is creamy-white.
How To Get Rid Of Moths
Call Bliss when you have a moth infestation, especially in a food preparation area. As an experienced company with entomologists on staff, we have a program specially designed for moth problems in kitchens and other eating areas. It is a vaporless, odorless solution that is appropriate to deal with this specific issue.
Moths go through what is called ‘complete metemorphosis’. The adult moths lays eggs which develop into larvae.
The larvae (and not the egg or the adult) feed on foods in your home. The presence of adult moths indicates you have infested food somewhere. The laundry list of possible foods that these moths can attack includes grains, nuts, fruits and other products from plants..
The adult meal moth generally avoids lights, so you won't find it at the porch light or banging
into your reading lamp.
They will infest:
- Flour and other baking meals - brownie mix, cornbread mix, cake mix, powdered milk, etc.
- Nuts - whether in the shell or out of the shell, within packages, within candy bars or cookies
- Grain products - pet food, bread, crackers, chips, bird seed
- Spices - peppers, paprika, etc
- Dried flowers - bouquet arrangements, as well as other decorative arrangements of wheat stalks, flowers, acorns, nuts, pine cones, dried corn, etc.
The larva of the Indian Meal Moth has no spots on its body but is smooth, white, pinkish, cream colored, or even with a greenish tint.
After infesting your food it will move to a quiet place to weave a cocoon called the pupae.
- Find the source of the problem and throw away any infested food. There are sometimes more than one source including flours and cake mixes, nuts, grain products, spices, dried flowers, pasta
- Vacuum and clean all the cupboards to remove food debris
- Have Bliss come and perform a treatment with an odorless, vaporless material that is appropriate to be used in food areas.
- Grains, pasta, nuts and other foods should be sealed in impermeable containers and stored in dry cool locations
- Don’t allow products to sit on your shelves for months and years
- Check products for signs of insects in order not to allow an infestation to grow
- Clean up small spills of food debris regularly including under mircrowaves and toaster ovens and other areas
- Inspect food for infestations especially "health" or ‘organic” foods that have not gone through processing that might eliminate meal moths
Call Bliss now to get more information or schedule an appointment
Why Choose Bliss Pest Control?
- Guaranteed Pest Elimination Available
- Free Phone Quotes
- Evening & Weekend Appointments Available
- A+ BBB Rating
- Established 1882
The Oldest Pest Control Company in NY & CT
For 125 years home owners in Connecticut have trusted Bliss to provide an effective pest solution.
Bliss has entomologists on staff and our technicians have been with us for years.
When you call Bliss, you get a company you can trust and a company with a lot of experience.
Be confident that you will have the best solution for your individual problem. Call Bliss now for a free consultation..